Blog Your Heart Out Day is an opportunity to speak up against heart disease. According to the American Heart Association, heart disease is the number one killer of women. In support of Go Red For Women and the American Heart Association, fitlosophy inc. has launched the 3rd annual BLOG YOUR HEART OUT campaign to create awareness and to encourage people to speak up against heart disease. The My Faith and Fitness blog is happy to spread the word about fighting against heart disease. I want you to protect your heart!
As you know, being diagnosed with high blood pressure and high cholesterol was a major impetus for me to begin a lifestyle of making my health and fitness a priority. Every time that I have the opportunity to encourage my sisters to learn of the dangers and signs of heart disease, I’m there. Brothers, please encourage the women in your life to ensure that their hearts are strong and healthy. Please read the information contained in this post closely, click on the links and visit the websites. Make your heart health a priority. Protect your heart!
ABOUT GO RED FOR WOMEN:
The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement has been impacting the health of women for 10 years. More than 627,000 women’s lives have been saved, but the fight is far from over. Now is the time to shout louder, stand stronger and demand change. It’s time to come together in a movement that is not just FOR women, but BY women. It’s time for women to Go Red. Visit GoRedForWomen.org for more information or call 1-888-MY-HEART.
Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women – mothers, sisters, daughters, friends – and is more deadly than all forms of cancer combined.
• Heart disease causes one in three women’s deaths each year, killing approximately one woman every minute.
• An estimated 43 million women in the U.S. are affected by heart disease.
• Ninety percent of women have one or more risk factors for developing heart disease.
• Since 1984, more women than men have died each year from heart disease and the gap between men and women’s survival continues to widen.
• While one in 31 American women dies from breast cancer each year, heart disease causes one in three deaths each year.
Heart disease in women requires more attention, more research and swifter action.
• Heart disease is the No. 1 killer of women, yet only one in five American women believe that heart disease is her greatest health threat.
• Women comprise only 24 percent of participants in all heart-related studies.
• Women are less likely to call 9-1-1 for themselves when experiencing symptoms of a heart attack than they are for someone else.
The American Heart Association’s Go Red For Women movement has been impacting the health of women for 10 years.
• More than 627,000 women have been saved from heart disease.
• 330 fewer women are dying per day.
Women who Go Red are more likely to make healthy choices.
• Nearly 90 percent have made at least one healthy behavior change.
• More than one-third have lost weight.
• More than 50 percent have increased their exercise.
• Six out of 10 have changed their diets.
• More than 40 percent have checked their cholesterol levels.
• One-third have talked with their doctors about developing heart health plans.
ADDITIONAL TOOLS AND RESOURCES:
• Free Red Dress pin for women who sign up on the Go Red For Women Web Site
• Take the Go Red Heart Checkup, a tool that assesses your risk of heart disease for the next 10 years
• American Heart Association Nutrition Center
• American Heart Association Exercise Information
• Give: Donate or Fundraise to help fund lifesaving research and educational programs.
• Volunteer: Contact your local American Heart Association office to see how you can get involved.
• ShopHeart.org: Visit Shop Heart to support education and awareness programs by purchasing Go Red For Women apparel, accessories and other heart-healthy products.
Protect your heart. Be blessed. Remain encouraged.